Sunday, March 1, 2009

What's for dinner?

Does anyone else feel like they get into a rut with dinners? Sometimes I feel like we eat the same things everyday. I know that isn't really the case, but I still feel that way. So I'd like to share some recipes that I've found recently that I've liked. If anyone else would like to share or post some recipes I think it would be fun.

I like pork, but I've never had a really good recipe until now... I got this one out of my Taste of Home Cookbook. It's fast and easy. It also works with any kind of side you want.

Braised Pork Chops
1 tsp rubbed sage
1 tsp dried rosemary, crushed
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
4 boneless pork loin chops (1/2 inch thick and 4 oz each)
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup apple juice divided
1 tbsp minced fresh parsley (optional garnish)

1) Combine sage, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper; rub over both sides of pork chops. In a large non stick skillet, brown chops on both sides in butter and oil. Remove.

2) Add 1/2 cup juice to skillet; bring to a boil. Return chops to pan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 min or until juices run clear, basting occasionally. Remove chops to a serving platter and keep warm.

3) Add remaining juice to the skillet. Bring to a boil, loosening any browned bits from the pan. Cook, uncovered, until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup. Pour over the chops; sprinkle with parsley.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another recipe out of The Taste of Home Cookbook that's worth trying. I know what you might be thinking...lentils???... But this recipe is good, lentils are really cheap and it's healthier than ground beef. I like to get the taco salad shells that you bake yourself and use those. And since I've justified that lentils are good to myself I don't feel bad having a little extra sour cream on top. mmmm

Tasty Lentil Tacos
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 garlic clove minced
1 tsp canola oil
1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
1 tbsp chili powder
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
2-1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup salsa
taco shells
lettuce
tomato
shredded cheese
sour cream

1) In a large nonstick skillet, saute the onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add the lentil, chili powder, cumin and oregano; cook and stir for 1 min.

2) Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 min or until lentils are tender. Uncover; cook for 6-8 min or until mixture has thickened. Mash lentils slightly.

3)Stir in salsa. Then assemble your tacos.

4 comments:

Katy Wilson said...

lentils huh...so could you use thoses as a hamburger substitute for alot of things? my roommate is a vegetariana nd i'm alwsays looking for ways to 'alter' recipes.

Wilkerson Family said...

I'm not sure how you'd get them to stick together for a burger...

Julie said...

I've seen a recipe for lentil tacos before, but wasn't sure how they'd be...now I'm going to have to try them.

I feel like I'm always in a recipe rut. I LOVE Taste of Home recipes and have had a lot of success with them. I have a subscription to the magazine too.

Samantha said...

I should try those tacos too. I made tofu tacos once.
I like to make fried rice- it's easy and good and fast. Put rice in a rice maker or whatever so it's done when you're ready to add it. A wok is nice if you have one (your parents got us one for our wedding!), so you just cut some bacon up and cook it, then onions, then shredded carrots, cabbage. Add some peas and zucchini (frozen works well) and then when that's all done, push it to the side, break two eggs, stir them up as you cook them, then mix it with the veg, then add rice, add garlic powder, salt, pepper, and soy sauce to taste, and cook a little bit longer. It's really good. I think I could make it "healthier" but oh well- it's pretty fast and an easy go to meal when I don't know what to cook.