Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Olive Mill

Drew and I were flipping through channels and we caught the last 10 min of that dirty jobs show. In the show the host was at the Queen Creek Olive Mill learning how to make olive oil. A couple years ago my mom was telling me that she saw a show on PBS about this olive mill in AZ and about how it looked cool and we should check it out. So we did. We actually went with Drew's mom and took a tour of the place. It was really neat. They make/sell all different kinds of olive oils, which you can sample. I had never had fresh olive oil before. It's amazing what a difference there is between fresh and what they sell in the grocery store. Fresh olive oil tastes grassy and peppery. It makes you realize what an inferior product they sell in super markets. In closing if your ever in the PHX area Queen Creek is about an hour south east and you should check out the Queen Creek Olive Mill. Go have lunch, take a tour, sample some olive oils and support local farmers.

4 comments:

Katy Wilson said...

Is that place free? it sounds cool! me and my roomate both said (at the exact same time) that the coach looked like omar epps. i think a slightly more attractive version. he has dimples too. sigh

Samantha said...

Ah I want to do that! I saw on the travel channel once in some European country they had an olive oil tasting place, like wine tasting, drinking it right out of a cup. That sounds fun. I still need to have an olive I like though; every olive I have ever tried to eat I spit out it's so disgusting to me, it tastes like poo rubber, whatever that is. I've never tried a fresh one though, maybe it's a canned issue..

Wilkerson Family said...

Katy- I'm glad you thought that coach looked like Omar Epps too. I told Drew I thought they looked alike and I got the response ummm maybe kind of...
When we went and took that tour it was $5. It's a small place with a really neat vibe. All of the sampling is free. They have all the oils, vinegars and an olive bar that you can try. So if your out that way you should check it out. Doesn't Ashley's aunt live close to Queen Creek? I think the HS Drew taught at was about 1/2 way there. We were looking at houses in Queen Creek before Drew decided he wanted to be a student forever.

Sean & Julia Johnson.... said...

I've lived here my whole life & never heard of that place!! I'm totally going :) cool!!