Friday, January 28, 2011

check and check

Yesterday was the first day of preschool registration. After waiting FOREVER I got Molly and Gabe registered. It took 5 hours. I knew that it would be a while, but I wasn't prepared for that. I was so proud of Molly and Gabe they handled being bored out of their minds like little champs. After we left the early childhood education offices I felt like everyone needed a treat. We had about an hour and a half before it was time to pick up Drew so we went to McDonald's. It was around 3:30 so there weren't many people there. Molly and Gabe actually played in the play area. They had a ton of energy to get out and it was nice being able to let them climb and run. I'm ready for spring. Anyway after getting them registered I think I have more questions than before. I guess there is 1/2 day preschool and full day preschool. They are two separate programs and you don't get a choice. They go through all of the applications and then you're put into the program that you "qualify" for. I'm not sure what that means. I asked if it was based on age and the lady said no that certain schools only offer one program or the other. She also said that they would make sure Molly and Gabe were in the same school/program because they are siblings. I've heard some horror stories about the school assigning programs here. It's at least a relief that they wouldn't try to put Molly and Gabe at different schools. They also bus all the preschoolers. I know that Molly would be thrilled to take the bus, but 3 & 4 seems awfully young to me. I think it does help that it would only be 3 & 4 year olds on the bus but still. Anyway, 4 yr olds get placed first and then 3 yr olds. Molly should get in without any problems. Gabe might be put on a waiting list because he'll be 3. I guess we'll be finding out in the next few months...

Basically whenever it snows more than two inches school gets cancelled. It's kind of ridiculous. I think the kids have already missed over a week of school. Drew got really annoyed this week when his campus was closed on Wed. Oh well. At least Drew doesn't have to make up the days that he has off. His students just don't get all of the class time they should. Changing the subject Kentucky does a great job salting/plowing the streets. We live on a bus route. Our street gets salted before, during and after it snows.


Drew asked me if I was embarrassed that our kids don't know how to play in the snow. I think they're funny.


*I haven't blogged in a while so I posted a few today, but backdated them. The zoo is the first one I posted today*

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Isn't all the preschool registration and stuff crazy? I understand that's how it is when demand is there but geesh. I want Z to go to preschool twice a week this fall and I still haven't registered her anywhere so I'm like...hm I wonder if I can even get her in anywhere! And yeah busses to school seems so little at 3-4!!

Becky said...

Thanks for the update:) I love the snow pictures!!! I hope you are feeling well. I can't believe how fast your pregnancy is going, I feel like I just found out :)

I have seen the canvas thing as well. I don't know if you have Micheals, but packs of canvas' are $14.99. The add said a 10 pack of 8x10 or a 8 pack of 11x14 or a 5 pack of 16x20. Anyway, if you end up doing it, I want to see them!!! Did I mention I miss our craft nights SOOO much! Oh, and we miss you all too :)