Summer is always really exciting. The kids always enjoy those first 3 weeks of freedom without a schedule. Then we traveled for a few weeks. We went to Nebraska for a little over a week to visit my parents and friends. So So Fun. I really miss Nebraska. Then we were off to Chicago for a week to visit more family and friends. We came home for a couple days to do laundry and repack and then we went to South Carolina for a week with friends. I fell in love while we were there. My new dream in life is to live next to the ocean. Beautiful. After all the traveling and time in the car everyone was happy to be home. Well for a couple days and then the whining and bickering started. I think they were ready to go/missing school. And after those two weeks a part of me was ready to send them to school, but another part of me is so sad at the beginning of every school year.
first day
Gabe started Kindergarten. I was so nervous. Gabe is a free spirit and I was scared that all-day-very-regimented kindergarten was going to kill it. School started on a Tuesday. Friday morning when I woke Gabe up for school he said "but I already did that yesterday". The next week was really rough lots of tears and not wanting to get on the bus. Broke. My. Heart. Luckily it didn't last long and everyday he was really happy when he got off the bus. I talked to his teacher and she said he's been doing great and hasn't been upset when he's there. They get a new spelling word every week. They're up to 4 words and so far he's got 100% on all of them. Hallelujah. Spelling tests are another thing I was really worried about with Gabe. He doesn't have the best memory when it comes to things he isn't really interested in. Numbers and letters fall into the things he couldn't care less about category. I'm hoping that school continues to go well for Gabe. I hope that he'll love learning. The past two weeks have gone really well. He's starting to talk about the kids in his class by name and not just "my friend". His handwriting is also really improving. It's fun watching the transformation.Molly is in first grade. She's loving it. One of my favorite things is that everyday she comes home with a journal entry that she's written and illustrated. I'm finding out so many things that I didn't know. :) I also love reading the way she thinks things should be spelled. So sweet. M joined the cross country team. She practices Monday and Thursdays before school. And then of course Drew takes her out running with him throughout the week. So far she likes it. Hopefully it's something that she'll continue to like. (maybe she'll get really good and it will be her ticket into a great high school? :) I think our school system is so weird.) Molly had her tonsils taken out last Thursday. She was so brave no tears and very calm. Her nurse said that she won patient of the day. The recovery is going well. She's starting to get her voice back. Hopefully she'll be ready to go back to school next Monday.
Lincoln wishes he was in school. The first two weeks of school every morning I would hear "me school too! I go bus too!" several times. He was really upset to be left behind. How quickly things change last Saturday Lincoln was yelling at Gabe and said "you school go". I started a play group 3 weeks ago Lincoln's been liking exploring different places with his friends we've also been going to story time. We're keeping ourselves busy.
Simon turns 1 on Friday. Part of me thinks that can't be right and the other part thinks he isn't 1 yet? Simon is crawling and climbing on everything. He loves making me big messes. He has two teeth and the most adorable little smile. He walks along things. When I try to encourage him to walk by taking his fingers he'll do maybe 2 steps and then throw his head back and yell at me. I imagine he's saying something along the lines of why are you pulling on my hands your standing pick me up. I think it will still be a while before he has a desire to walk. Simon still LOVES being held. He definitely knows his siblings and is always looking for them and wanting to be where they are. He's going to be a tough little guy.
That sums up the past few weeks.
2 comments:
Wow they are growing up! Lincoln started school too and has loved it, but we've had a few hard mornings too, he'd rather stay home and get his play time in I think.
I think Gabe would do better if school were every other day.
Post a Comment