Thursday, December 22, 2011

show & tell

I've been casually looking for some wooden chairs to refinish for our basement. I'd like one for our computer desk, one for my sewing table and maybe a third just for good measure? Anyway I found a set at goodwill. And didn't buy them. I was kicking myself. When I went back they were gone, but I found something else.
This bad boy.
One man junk is another mans... well probably still junk, but I do love a project. :) It was in pretty rough shape and that red was so bright. But I thought this trunk was worth $11 and that it would make a cool coffee table for the basement.
My little helper who LOVES trying to eat grass. :(
Who knew apples taste even better ;)
After a few coats of paint.
I distressed the wood a bit. I didn't want it to look too perfect when the metal itself is pretty dinged up. I love that the whole thing maybe cost $25. It holds all of our throw blankets and adds a little character to the basement. I told Drew that the trunk probably has a story. Drew said yeah someone didn't want it and brought it to the thrift store... boo... I also bought two cool fence handles from Hobby Lobby to attach to the sides. They'll cover the holes where the old handles used to be. Right now they're sitting inside the trunk eventually they'll be attached.
This was a project from back in the beginning of October... And guess who found another trunk sitting on top of a dumpster yesterday? That's right this girl. Drew told me that I should be embarrassed. (The trunk I found yesterday isn't as cool. It's smaller. It's all wood. Maybe homemade, but just as ugly.) Happy painting!

No comments: