Saturday, December 4, 2010

let it snow! let it snow! let it snow!

and then rain?

This morning we woke up to snow. Molly and Gabe were really excited. So was I. I decided to pull out the camera and cross my fingers for some Christmas card worthy pictures.

I've always felt really lucky that Molly and Gabe are the opposite of picky when it comes to eating. Gabe LOVES to perch himself near whoever is cooking. He wants to try, smell and "help" make everything. Molly is the same. I can't think of anything that they won't eat... Lucky me.

Molly and Gabe make up for this lack of pickyness in food when it comes to clothes. I was pleasantly surprised when Gabe actually let me put that pull over sweater on him. I've tried to get him to wear it to church. That has ended with Drew eventually coming into the kids room and telling me that it isn't worth all the screaming and to let him pick out a different sweater. arg. Gabe has a dresser full of clothes. 1/2 of them he refuses to wear. By refuse I mean arching of the back and screaming bloody murder. If said clothes do make it onto him he'll take them off and run away naked. "me no like that"

Then there is Molly. Where do I begin?
Me "Molly it's cold outside. I want you to pick out a pair of pants"
Molly "why do you want me to be ugly? I want to wear... {fancy sundress} I want to look beautiful."
Me "it's too cold for that"
Molly then starts crying. Huge tears start. Followed by wailing about how Princesses never wear pants. Sometimes I'll get her to happily agree to wear a skirt with leggings. But did you know that princesses never wear skirts, leggings, coats or fancy shirts? They only wear fancy dresses. I do get her on occasion when I point out that while Cinderella and Snow White may always wear dresses, but their "bad mamma's" make them wear ugly rag dresses. Holy Cow. I used to think Molly was a "normal" girlie girl, but I don't see other little girls walking around wearing crowns and clip on earrings ALL THE TIME... I do think the crown is funny and she does where it everywhere, but I have enough to battle with her about. If she wants to wear a crown to the library and to run errands more power to her.

Maybe I should be looking forward to kindergarten. I've been told that all of the schools here require uniforms. Everyone can look "ugly" together.

3 comments:

Sean & Julia Johnson.... said...

hilarious! Hope your feeling well!

Kathy N said...

Hi Jenny (this is Katy Nelson's mom) I just wanted you to know that Molly sounds exactly like Katy was at that age...Katy REFUSED to wear pants! Even when she started school, she would pick out her 'outfit' the night before...always a dress with sunday shoes so she could be "beautiful!" So all I have to say is "GOOD LUCK!"

Samantha said...

Ha! My kids are having their issues with eating nowadays. That comes in waves. Zara is becoming your typical little kid with what she'll eat.
Zara does not care about clothes much. Some things she'll get excited about and want to wear, but it's not a battle like that- and like I've heard with so many other kids, so you're not alone! I haven't exactly encouraged her picking out her clothes though. I'll tell her certain things don't match so she can't wear them, but she accepts that readily and doesn't try to pick out her own clothes yet, so I have to thank my lucky stars I guess, just as you thank yours about food. If I didn't have to try to get my kids to eat things other than cookies and noodles and chocolate, etc., my day would be a lot easier!