Wednesday night we had a few people over for dinner. The last person to leave was a man from China, named Lee. All throughout the evening he told us different stories of his childhood and his country. He was befriended in China by a UNL professor. When the professor came back he brought Lee with him. I think he said he's been in the states for about 10 years now. Anyway, as he was leaving he said thank you a bunch of times for inviting him over. "It's so nice you can have who ever you want into your home". I thought that was an interesting thing to say. Then he followed it up. "If we were in China I wouldn't be able to have you over to my parents home" In order to have American guests they would have to get permission from the police. There would be a series of questions. Maybe if they were all answered correctly they would be granted permission... but, probably not. He said technically his family could get into trouble every time he goes for a visit because he travels with a US passport. I know that our country has many problems, and I think that politics are very frustrating. Say what you will. I'm happy that I can have who ever I'd like over to my home, whenever I'd like.
Post Script
On a completely unrelated note... It's Friday! This week has been really busy. Monday my parents left. Tuesday I had a cub scout committee meeting. Usually we go to playgroup Tuesday mornings, but the kids were still a little under the weather. Wednesday we entertained. Thursday I had a presidency meeting. Tomorrow, Saturday, I have a training meeting to go to. Drew also has to prepare a talk for church. Sunday's are always a zoo. We have church from 1-4. Molly usually misses her nap and is a beast. And then primary is always interesting. I hate it whenever something unexpected happens. Everyone turns to look at me. I smile and think to myself what one earth were they thinking when they gave me this calling?... Somehow everything works out and the week starts again. But today is FRIDAY and I don't have anything scheduled. It's a nice feeling. And Drew doesn't have classes Monday and Tuesday. I'm know that he'll still needs to go to the office and put some hours in, but he'll be home more than usual. It'll be nice.
5 months ago
No comments:
Post a Comment