I think that most states have some kind of safe haven law. Usually there is a specified amount of time that a parent has to abandon their baby at a hospital or fire department, no questions asked. I think it was a matter of days in Arizona. I remember a news story when we lived there. Something about a baby being dropped off that was a day too old. I wonder how someone can really tell the difference between a two day old and a three day old...
Nebraska has a safe haven law. There's no specified age limit it. Since we moved here I've heard multiple stories about kids being dropped off at hospitals. The most disturbing part is that most of them are over the age of 10. Last week a father whose wife passed away decided to give all nine of his children. He said that he thought someone else would be able to take better care of them. Now there are even more problems, as relatives of these nine kids are trying to get custody. I was baffled. Did this man really hand over his children to complete strangers before turning to his extended family? Then a couple of days ago a woman from Iowa, not even our state, left her 10 year old at a hospital in Omaha. As for the other stories I've heard most have been of kids whose parents have died. A family member has custody and can't handle them acting out anymore. All I can think of is all of these kids are going to need serious therapy. I can't even imagine how I would feel if I was abandoned. One law maker that was interviewed said that they knew that the law was pretty ambiguous. He said if it saves one child it's worth it.
I try not to judge. I'm sure these kids deserve better. I'm just really having a hard time wrapping my mind around this one.
5 months ago
2 comments:
Yeah, sometimes I am shocked by what some people do. I really can't begin to understand some of these things. These are people you wish wouldn't have had kids in the first place.
i just can not comprehend people who could do something like that...
Post a Comment