Friday, February 15, 2013

meet Franklin

 January 11 was a beautiful day.  warm+sunny.  We went for a walk and came back with 
this guy.

Drew and I were on a walk with Gabe, Lincoln, Simon and B (the little girl I watch) when this big puppy started happily following us.  Drew went to the door of the house he initially followed us from.  The man who came to the door said that it wasn't his dog; that the dog had been roaming the neighborhood for a few days.  After we got back to our house Drew took him on a run thinking someone would see him and claim him.  Sure enough an older woman came out of her house and said "you found him".  She said it was her neighbors dog and that he'd been missing for a few days.  Surprisingly it was the house we had already been too.  So...  we got a dog and we named him Franklin.

He's about 6 months.  He's a shepherd husky or chow mix.  In the past month he's gained 8lbs and is now 38lbs.  He's a puppy so he's jumpy and likes to chew on things and act crazy.  But overall I'm really impressed with him.  He's SO good with Lincoln.  When Franklin is chewing on something he shouldn't if I try to take it he'll nip at me, but he doesn't do that to Lincoln.  Lincoln puts his hands in Franklin's mouth Lincoln rolls on the floor with him.  It's really cute.

I'm getting more used to him.  The first few days we had him I made Drew give him a bath everyday.  I realized I'm not really a dog person, but he's growing on me. We're getting him fixed next week.  The vet will have to keep him overnight and I'm a little sad about that.  

He's become my walking companion and Drew's running companion.  Drew tried to take him running a couple days after we got him.  Franklin did terrible.  He had to walk and stop and take breaks.  Drew wasn't sure he'd be a running dog, but he's doing much better.  Drew said he's always lagging unless there's a bird or a squirrel, but he does pretty well for 3 miles.  4 is pushing it so sometimes Drew will go out and do a couple miles without him and then come back for Franklin.  Although that is always really devistating to Franklin he always wants to come.  Even going to the bus stop if we don't take him you can hear him crying he whole time we're gone.  

In a nutshell that's Franklin.  He's a keeper.  He's good for me.  Our house has never been cleaner ;)

1 comment:

Katy Wilson said...

I think I mentioned this on facebook...and I'm sure you already know but my dog is Franklin too! I've been really wanting to get another dog, because I feel like Franklin is so lonely with noone to play with, but Daron says "no". We'll just see about that!