This picture is from 12/09, but I think it was the most recent one that I have... Molly and Gabe were so little. 
My grandpa passed away June 26th. Drew and I were planning on meeting some great friends in Chicago over 4th of July weekend. We left a day earlier than we had originally planned so that we could attend my grandpa's wake and funeral. My grandpa lived a great life. He turned 90 this past January.
My grandpa had 8 kids, 28 grand kids, and 24 great grand kids. I remember that for special persons day at school they would always give a prize to the grandparent with the most grand kids. My grandparents always won. I have fond memories of running and playing all over my grandpa's huge house. My favorite places to hide were in the closet of the basement bedroom or on the upstairs porch. When we were playing outside us kids loved playing under the back porch and under the huge pine tree in the front yard. I remember my grandpa always being funny and telling jokes. Later in his life he never felt well. He'd often at the last moment decide not to go to family parties and get togethers, but whenever I was in town we'd usually have dinner at my parents and invite my grandpa and Julie over. He'd always come and that meant a lot to me. My grandpa was a proof reader. He fought in WWII. He grew orchids. He was a patriarch. He'd also wear some of the most ridiculous ties. Even though I couldn't stop crying Saturday morning I have faith that my grandpa is in a better place and that I will be able to see him again.
No comments:
Post a Comment