Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Candy Fail/ I {heart} Home Depot

Our weather has been all over the place. When it's sunny it's usually below freezing and when it's warm (high 40's low 50's) it's raining. So I'm always looking for little projects for Molly, Gabe and me to do. Sometimes it's craft related and other times it's food. Last week we made some Valentines Day decorations, cinnamon rolls and caramel popcorn. yum. I thought today we would try making candy. I saw this recipe at The Idea Room for Sea Glass Candy. It looked easy and pretty. I was excited about this one, I even bought a candy thermometer. Well mine looks like the pictures at The Idea Room, but it's awful. I burnt it. I added flavoring, but it tastes like burnt sugar. SAD. On the plus side Molly and Gabe had fun making it. Maybe I'll have to try it again another time. Maybe next time I'll also try really paying attention. Who knew that 5 degrees would make such a difference... Drew was confused as to how I burnt it when I had a candy thermometer. I think I'll blame it on being pregnant.? I'm not sure what my excuse will be next month, maybe that I'm sleep deprived.

Speaking of activities did you know that Home Depot has a kids workshop day every month? That's right the first Saturday of every month from 9-12 you can go and make a fun little project with your kids. I had heard about it before, but something else would come up or I'd forget. Last time we were at the Home Depot a really nice older woman asked us if we had ever been and told us all about it. So when we got home it went on the calender. It was so fun. Molly and Gabe got little aprons, made a heart shelf (Molly did all the hammering/gluing all by herself. Drew assisted Gabe a little.), and then they got a pin for their aprons with a picture of the heart shelf on it. Some kids had a ton of pins. Maybe that will be us someday. I promised Molly and Gabe that they could paint their shelves. I'll have to post pictures of that when we do it. Maybe that will be tomorrow's project. I love Home Depot.

2 comments:

Katy Wilson said...

As a former employee of the Fudge Factory I can tell you first hand what a difference 5 degrees makes! It's crazy how it can make...fudge at least...either super granular or sometimes so soft it never forms into something that we can cut!

Tarver Family said...

This should be back to another post.. about the canvas... this is probably not the one but should help you :) http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2010/09/decorate-my-home-part-24-painted.html