Remember a few months ago when I was complaining about how my kids were always sick and how we went to the doctor more than anyone should? Well, winter went away. I think it's been over a month since I've seen a runny nose. Let me tell you how nice that is.
Today was normal and not very significant. I watched a friends baby in the morning. My kids took naps then we met friends at the park and played for a little while. (today it was in the mid 80's BEAUTIFUL) I came home started dinner. Drew came home we ate dinner. The kids got baths. (Our tub was full of sand. they had a great time at the park.) The kids went to bed at 7:15. Drew and I played some ladder golf. I won one game I won't say out of how many. In all honesty my game was pretty pathetic tonight. Then Drew and I decided to catch up on some episodes of 24. Right in the middle (about 9:20) we hear Gabe hysterical. Drew went to check on him before he woke up Molly. It's unusual for Gabe to wake up like that. He was wheezing really bad and had a really dry cough. Drew and I were going back and forth on what to do. It's the middle of the night and Gabe's having trouble breathing. I kept going back and forth in my head. Am I overreacting? What if it's nothing? What if I put him back in his bed and he can't breath? Why is Gabe so smiley right now? Why isn't Drew in medical school? Then I thought of a man who we go to church with who is a doctor. After a little hesitation (I don't know him that well and it's getting late) I give him a call. After talking to him a little he says he'll come over. Dr. Ben comes over and after looking over Gabe he tells us that Gabe has croup. Coincidentally Ben works at the same doctors office that we go to, so he can treat Gabe. Right now Drew Gabe and Dr. Ben are at the E.R. Hopefully Drew and Gabe will be home soon and we'll all be able to sleep. What a blessing it is to know a doctor who makes house calls. :)
7 months ago
9 comments:
Dang you Drew for not being in medical school! ;)
Oh my goodness! Wow! I hope everything is going well now. I've definitely had my moments where I wished Tom was in medical school too--it would be so much more practical for every day life!
Sounds like a fun day before that, though!!
FYI - my kids all had croup as babies too. Next time, turn on your shower as hot as you can, let the bathroom fill with steam, then sit in the steamy room with the baby. It works wonders for breathing, especially in the middle of the night. Then you can consult the dr. in the morning.(In case you can't find a dr. that makes house calls)
hope Gabe is feeling better :( Sam was pretty wheezy this winter.. I know the feeling! lucky you know a doctor :)
Oh nooo! What are the symptoms of croup?? Let us know how it goes! Poor thing!
wow that is awful! Good thing you did come last night. We will have to get together another night! Good Luck with the croup, can't say we have ever had it (thank goodness!)
I'm sorry. that sucks. Let me know if you need anything. Bike ride when everybody feels better!
Dr. Ben is great. I am so sad to move and have to change doctors. What do they do for croup?
Gabe is doing much better. They gave him a breathing treatment and a steroid shot. He hasn't had a bad night since.
Sam- as far as symptoms he was wheezing really bad. It sounded like he couldn't breath and he had a really dry hacking cough.
Post a Comment